The Association of Scottish Businesswomen (ASB) are delighted to announce their New Year Honours List 2014. Ten ladies across Scotland have been nominated to be recognised as a ‘Woman of Inspiration’ in our first New Year Honours, with another 9 ladies awarded for their services to ASB. The Honours have been launched to give recognition to women who are inspirational role models and to celebrate all that they do for others in the business world in Scotland.
Nominations for the Woman of Inspiration Honour were received from members of the Association of Scottish Businesswomen. The ladies nominated come from a variety of business environments, ranging from Corporate Directors to small business owners and volunteers.
The ASB have also awarded honours and lifetime honorary memberships to past presidents of the organisation, in recognition of their outstanding work and services to the ASB and women in business in Scotland.
Nominations included statements such as:
‘She has inspired me to start my own business and follow my own dreams’; ‘she has taken an interest in my career and helped me every step of the way’; ‘[her clients] achieve goals that were only in their wildest dreams and truly change a persons life for the better’; ‘Outstanding Business career’; ’[she shows] commitment, tenacity, loyalty, integrity and sheer willingness to help’; ‘she has given freely her time and knowledge to lead and shape the organisation’; ‘She has shown time and time again that no matter what stands in your way, or how long it takes, or what age you are, you can still achieve your aspirations and do what makes you happy’ ; ‘an inspiring Scottish Businesswoman who I'm proud to know’.
The women recognised in the ASB New Year Honours List in alphabetical order are:
- Dr Heather Alexander, Clearsight Consulting, Glasgow
- Liz Cooper, Ayrshire Association of Business Women
- Natalie Crayton, Hebridean See Salt Ltd, Isle of Lewis
- Julie Hall, HallMark Consultancy, Glasgow
- Waiyin Hatton, Wai Beyond, Ayrshire
- Louise Johnstone, Louise’s PT 4U, Dundee
- Debbie Mitchell, Atholl Scott Financial Services, Aberdeen
- Eileen Rolland, Chrysalis Health & Wellbeing, Dundee
- Nora Senior, Weber Shandwick and
British Chambers of Commerce & Scottish Chambers of Commerce
- Faith Simpson, Faith Simpson Accounting, Moray
In speaking of being honoured Louise Johnstone said ‘it is such an honour’.
Nora Senior added that it was ‘a lovely surprise to begin the year with’.
ASB Past Presidents awarded honours and lifetime honorary memberships are:
1. Tessa Simpson, Edinburgh (1995)
2. Maree Leslie, Edinburgh (1998)
3. Pat Ross, Aberdeen (1999)
4. Linda Leslie, Aberdeen (2000-02)
5. Christine Patch, Edinburgh (2002-04)
6. Sandra Benn, Edinburgh (2004-06)
7. Julie Hall, Glasgow (2006-08)
8. Anne Bunting, Perth (2008-10)
9. Fiona Chung, Fife (2010-12)
The ASB New Year Honours List complements the prestigious Annual Business Awards run by the Association. In addition, the ASB hold an annual Women’s Business and Enterprise Conference and Leadership & Personal Development Weekend – all aimed at linking, supporting and inspiring women in business in Scotland.